Veteran Services

  • Our mission is to provide all transitioning military service members, Veterans, and Eligible Spouses with the resources to assist and prepare them to obtain meaningful careers and maximize their employment opportunities in the 21st Century workforce.

    While the Employment Specialists at Montana's local Job Service offices are equipped to assist all military service members, Veterans, and Eligible Spouses in securing employment and training, the Disabled Veteran Outreach Program (DVOP) Specialist and Local Veteran Employment Representative (LVER) located at several Job Service locations are trained to address the needs of Veterans (and in some cases, their families) who encounter more severe challenges obtaining employment.

    The Workforce Services Division is the state agency that serves transitioning service members, Veterans, and their families through programs such as Workforce Investment Act, Wagner-Peyser Employment Service, and Jobs for Veterans State Grant (JVSG) programs.

    The Workforce Services Division recognizes military service members, Veterans, and Eligible Spouses for their commitment to our country by supporting and adhering to federal Priority of Service guidelines.

    You may be eligible for Priority of Service if –

    You served in the United States military; or were activated as a member of a National Guard or Reserve unit. Or are the spouse of—

    1. A veteran who died of a service connected disability;
    2. A member of the Armed Forces who is:
      1. Missing in action;
      2. Captured in line of duty; or
      3. Forcibly detained by a foreign government or power;
    3. A veteran who has a Department of Veteran Affairs total disability rating
    4. A veteran who died while a Department of Veterans Affairs total disability rating existed.

    Please identify yourself as a Veteran or Eligible Spouse upon checking in at a Montana Job Service.

  • Locate a Disabled Veteran Outreach Program (DVOP) Specialist 

    The Employment Specialists at Montana's Job Service offices can assist all Veterans in securing employment and training, as well as refer Veterans to other service providers in both public and private agencies and organizations. Below is a list of contact information for all of Montana's Job Service offices, with specific listings for the DVOP Specialist.  Visit aMontana Job Servicenear you.

    Dan Altmaier Billings (406) 655-6065
    David Pressler Bozeman (406) 582-9219
    Shannon Ray Butte (406) 494-0313
    Chelsea Keller Great Falls (406) 791-5865
    Donald Crawford Helena (406) 447-3219
    James Graham Kalispell (406) 758-6279
    Shannon Noble Missoula (406) 542-5754
    Ian Kerr Polson (406) 883-7898


    All other Job Service locations are able to assist Veterans and will refer to DVOPs as necessary.

    Contact Information

    Justin Toth - Veteran Program Manager

    (406) 444-1630

    Disabled Veterans Application for Vocational Rehabilitation

  • Vocational Rehabilitation provides services and assistance to certain veterans with disabilities to get and keep a suitable job...Read More

Veteran Benefits

  • The State of Montana has the following benefits available to honorably discharged veterans:

    • Discharge papers are recorded without charge by the Clerk and Recorder of each county in a book provided for this purpose.
    • Copies of recorded Discharges are furnished without charge when needed for Veterans Administration claims, State Bonuses and some other claims by or for the individual veteran.
    • There is a payment of $250.00 made by the county in which the veteran was a resident at the time of his death. The County Commissioners make the determination as to residency. This can be paid to any such resident veteran who dies when he is temporarily absent from the State on account of illness, on temporary employment, or vacationing. If any veteran leaves Montana to reside or is residing elsewhere at the time of death, the individual is not eligible for the burial benefit.
    • The county of residence at the time of death will pay up to $30.00 toward the setting of a Government grave marker in the cemetery at the grave of an honorably discharged veteran.
    • Assistance, without charge, is furnished by Service Officers of the Veterans Affairs Division of the State of Montana.
    • Tuition waivers are provided at the units of the University of Montana system. This is available only to wartime veterans no longer eligible for VA educational benefits and who are Montana residents.
    • Tuition waivers are provided at the units of the University of Montana system for orphans or children of veterans who dies in service, or dies of service incurred disabilities. The period of eligibility begins on the child's 18th birthday. If this person serves on active duty in the armed forces between his 18th and 23rd birthdays, then the period of eligibility is extended to five years after his first discharge or release from such active duty. In no event can the period of eligibility be extended beyond the 31st birthday.
    • Honorably discharged veterans of the United States may receive preference when applying for positions in which they are qualified, in State, County, or Municipal appointments.
    • Honorably discharged veterans, who are Montana residents, are eligible to apply for admission to the Montana Veterans Home. Spouses and surviving spouses of honorably discharged Montana veterans are also eligible to apply.
    • Veterans with service connected disabilities of 100% are eligible for free automobile license plates for one vehicle.
    • Veterans with service connected disabilities of 100% or their surviving spouses may be exempt from real property taxes.
    • Certain disabled veterans are eligible for free fishing and reduced hunting licenses.
    • Other than dishonorably discharged veterans and their spouses are eligible for burial in the State Veterans Cemetery.
  • Federal VA Benefits for Veterans, Dependent, and Survivors - 2014 Booklet Online Edition...Read More
  • U.S. Department of Labor - Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA)
    U.S. Department of Labor - Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA)...Read More

Employment Services

Thank you for your service to our country. Montana’s Job Services are committed to helping all military service members, Veterans, and Eligible Spouses obtain employment. Our Employment Specialists at Montana’s local Job Service offices offer a range of services to meet your needs including:
  • Registering for work enables your access to online job searching, uploading a resume, employment notifications and allows employers to seek your resume for potential employment. We can help you get the most out of your registration. Registering for work at Job Service is a requirement to receive Unemployment Insurance and an important step in your job search. REGISTER here:
  • Searching for jobs is easy and accessible through If you meet the qualifications and wish to apply for a job listing, follow the employer’s referral instructions.
  • Most employers spend less than 30 seconds scanning the resume. The resume and cover letter is an important introduction to the employer. Make sure your resume efficiently and accurately portrays you in a positive manner.
  • Many companies require applicants to register and apply online. We can help you through the application process.
  • Once you have secured the interview, we can assist you with tips for acing the interview with practice in mock interviews.
  • Computers, Internet, Montana Career Information System, copiers, fax machine, printers, and phones are available for your job search needs.
  • Obtain training from an employer with Job Service. Employers can be reimbursed for up to 90% of your hourly wage while you learn. You much meet the eligibility requirements of the program.

    Disabled Veteran Outreach Program (DVOP) Specialists provide intensive services to eligible veterans or eligible spouses with Significant Barriers to Employment (SBE) including:

    1. Disabled Veterans who are receiving or has filed for VA compensation (or but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation_ under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans’ Affairs; or, were discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.
    2. Currently homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.
    3. A recently-separated service member within the last 3 years and at any point in the previous 12 months has been unemployed for 27 or more consecutive weeks.
    4. An offender who is currently incarcerated or has been released from incarceration within the last 12 months.
    5. Lacking a high school diploma or equivalent certificate.
    6. Low Income.
    7. Other Eligible Veterans: A veteran between 18 and 24 years of age.
    8. SPOUSES: The spouse of a service member who died of a service connected disability, has been missing in action for more than 90 days, captured in the line of duty by hostile force for more than 90 days, forcibly denied or interned in the line of duty by a foreign government or power for more than 90 days or who has a total disability permanent in nature of resulting from a service connected disability or who has died as a result of a service connected disability.

    Local Veteran Employment Representatives (LVERS) facilitate employment, training, and placement services for veterans by ensuring easier access to the appropriate employment and training services for veterans within the state and conduct employer outreach on behalf of veterans.

    • Priority Of Service For Military Service Members, Veterans, & Eligible Spouses
    • Labor Market & Career Information
    • Wage And Hour & Human Rights
    • Montana Career Information System (MCIS)
    • Reemployment & Job Training Services
    • Skills Testing
    • Business Resources
    • Disability Resource Coordinator
  • Registered apprenticeship is an important resource...Read More
  • Get help as you transition from military to civilian life...Read More
  • VETS is committed to helping America's veterans and separating service members by preparing them for meaningful careers, providing employment resources and expertise, and protecting their employment rights....Read More
  • This system matches your skills and job titles with job announcements posted by employers....Read More
  • The Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) program is designed to assist individuals who are facing barriers transition into gainful employment....Read More
  • Montana Job Service Centers provide easy access to a wide array of employment and training services....Read More

Education & Training

Licensing & Certification

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Veterans often have a difficult time converting their military training and experience into civilian training and jobs. As a result, they often can't find jobs for which they are qualified, and when they pursue educational opportunities, they have to repeat classes that are equivalent to their military training. The Veteran Employment & Training Service Providers may be able to assist veterans earn civilian credentials using vocational and technical skills they learned while in the military. Why is veteran credentialing so important to the state of Montana? In addition to making the transition to civilian life a little easier for separating military veterans, credentialing makes good economic sense.
  • The purpose of the Licensing and Certification program is to aide separating military personnel in converting their military training and experience to a license or certification needed for a civilian career. Those who have served should not have to be retrained for a civilian career for which the military has already trained us and provided extensive experience. By obtaining a civilian career license or certification, a military veteran may attain a higher economic living standard. For more information on how Montana Veteran’s Employment & Training Program staff may be able to help you in gaining a civilian license or certification contact your local Veteran's Employment Representative.
  • You can receive reimbursement for licensing and certification tests you take on or after March 1, 2001. These tests must be specifically approved for the G.I. Bill. VA can pay only for the cost of the tests and not other fees connected with obtaining a license or certification.

    Montana - State Approving Agency Contacts
    Ken Gemlich, SAA Director Director Veterans' Education and Training (406) 444-4122
Back To Top